Disrupting disaster response and providing for sustainable development.
GEM’s aim is to provide grassroots efforts with a large institutional impact for the most vulnerable populations affected by natural disasters around the world.
GEM is dedicated to restoring hope and opportunity in the lives of those most affected by natural disasters. The organization works as a first responder for disaster relief, bridges the gap between first response and sustainable development, and implements practices to ensure sustainable development.
In addition to the three planned phases, GEM operates year-round programming that focuses on school and home reconstruction, education and empowerment, and environmental and health programs. The program goals are to bring people back to normalcy and elevate communities beyond the cycle of disaster response. The outcome of these programs are to provide long-term redevelopment, which mitigates the psychosocial impact of displacement. These programs create independence through sustainable initiatives as the communities have a vested interest in the programs and overtime grow and improve them on their own.
- Smart partnerships with local organizations and government agencies
- Creative solutions to complex humanitarian emergencies
- Creation of uniquely specific funds for donors with customizable outcomes
- The highest degree of fundraising efficiencies Participates in three planned phases of disaster response
- Works in the gap period between first response and sustainable development
Three Planned Phases
First Response Phase
Immediate response to global disasters and civic emergencies. Goal is to restore hope and opportunity in the lives of those most affected.
- Reconnaissance and assessment
- Search, rescue, and loss mitigation
- Identify and form strategic partnerships
Second Response Phase
The Gap Period
Time between first response and government or other permanent infrastructure. Goal to minimize the time in which this gap period exists
- Temporary housing and shelter
- Establish criteria, beneficiary identification and distribution of vital funds
- Stabilization efforts and sustenance supplies
Third Response Phase
Long Term response in coordination with governments and public private partners. Goal to create a self sufficient and thriving community
Permanent and durable housing and infrastructure
Facilitator of economic and educational programs
Implementing empowerment and livelihood programs